FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 27, 2020
Media Contact: Brandon Evans
CHANGES NEEDED TO CONDUCT SAFE ELECTIONS IN 2020
INDIANAPOLIS-- Vote Safe Indiana is a nonpartisan nonprofit with the mission of improving safe voting rules amid the COVID-19 Pandemic.
With that goal, Vote Safe Indiana and coalition partners ACLU of Indiana, Vote.org, Indiana Vote By Mail, League of Women Voters of Indiana, Women 4 Change, Progressive Thought Matters, Greater Indianapolis NAACP, and Common Cause Indiana sent the attached letter today to Governor Holcomb, Secretary of State Lawson, and the Indiana Election Commission.
Message for email: I am asking you to support giving Hoosiers the option of casting by mail a NO-EXCUSE ABSENTEE BALLOT. It is critical that voters in November are not faced with the choice of exercising their right to vote or protecting their health. COVID-19 will remain a threat until a vaccine is found and is available to the public. Unfortunately, that will not occur by November; therefore, Indiana’s leaders must act NOW to ensure ALL voters have the SAFE option of casting their ballot by mail. This option was available to voters during the Primary and must be an option during the General Election.
Leaders cannot delay this decision. County clerks need time to plan and put in place the structures and resources necessary to guarantee a smooth election.
Partisan arguments and the false narrative of voter fraud cannot be allowed to determine whether Hoosiers have a safe voting option in the General Election. According to the Brennan Center for Justice, “Mail ballot fraud is incredibly rare, and legitimate security concerns can be easily addressed.” Claims by the White House that “people cheat with mail-in voting” is a fraudulent excuse, and if it is used to deter states from approving a statewide mail in ballot option in November, “they will be deadly wrong.” (https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/false-narrative-vote-mail-fraud).
Do not create long lines increasing the danger of transmission, and do not disenfranchise voters by failing to protect the voters’ ability to vote without risk to their health. Please take the necessary action to make sure all Hoosiers have the option to vote safe using a NO-EXCUSE BALLOT. Ensure a fair vote in November. Thank you. [When you sign your name, include the name of your League.]
The letter asks for changes needed to conduct a safe and fair general election in 2020, including:
● No-excuse absentee voting to the 2020 General Election,
● Allow mail-in ballots to be counted if postmarked by Election Day on November 3, 2020, if received by November 9, 2020
● Allow safe drop-off locations in each Indiana county to collect absentee ballots through 6 pm on Election Day, November 3, 2020.
Vote Safe Indiana and our coalition partners believe that all Hoosiers deserve to vote in safe conditions. Indiana should not require voters to risk their lives to vote in the Indiana Primary.
1. The decision to waive the requirement of an excuse on the absentee ballot application rests in the hands of the STATE Election Commission. Please contact the Indiana Election Commission: email@example.com.
2. Contact Governor Eric Holcomb’s office to voice your support for a NO-EXCUSE ABSENTEE BALLOT: Governor’s contact page.https://www.in.gov/gov/2752.htm
3. Contact the Secretary of State Connie Lawson to voice support for a NO-EXCUSE ABSENTEE BALLOT. E-mail: constituent@sos.IN.gov